When one is looking to study in Canada, terms like SDS and Non-SDS Category often tend to confuse students. In this blog, we will attempt to resolve your queries about the SDS and Non-SDS Visa Requirements in 2021.
The Student Direct Stream (SDS), formerly known as Students Partner Program (SPP), is an initiative by Canadian Immigration Authorities. Generally, if you are looking to study in Canada, you can apply for your visa application under SDS Category. However, for students to fall under the SDS Category they must meet the following specific requirements as described by the IRCC which are as below:
- Language Proficiency Test: Under this category, you need to qualify for an English Proficiency Test. You need to score at least a score of IELTS 6 overall and no less than 6 for each section. (IELTS is strongly recommended to fall into this category)
- Tuition Fees: Students are required to pay off at least one year of tuition fees.
- You are required to submit a document as proof of a thorough medical examination. Under the checkup, a full-body physical examination is performed.
- Students are required to have an academic score of at least 60%.
- Student must deposit an amount of 10000 CAD or more towards their living expenses or more commonly referred to as GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate)
Below are the few banks that accept GIC:
- Scotiabank (widely popular among students)
- ICICI Bank
- SBI ( have very few branches across the country so difficult to access)
There are certain categories of community colleges and Universities that do not fall under the SDS Category. Students must then apply through the Non-SDS Category.
Below are basic requirements you need to meet to put up your visa application:
- Purchase a GIC covering one year of living expenses
- Pay off the fees for the 1st semester.
- Show appropriate funding as per the institution requirements.
- Visa Processing period is between 4-6 weeks under this category.
For more specific details with regards to the visa processing, speak to the experts at Trans Globe. Give us a call on 90547 42689 for any further enquiries.